Tuesday, November 24, 2015

thankful tree {2015}

I really love Thanksgiving.  November is such a great month and I always feel extra gratitude as I think about and get ready for this holiday.  Its the calm before the storm of Christmas business.  We don't do anything over-the-top special...usually the day consists of dinner with my dad's side of the family...most of the time it is at my MawMaw's house...and there is just something about the simplicity of it that allows me to really think about what I'm grateful for most, my family, and be with them on that day.  Though there is so much else in my life I am thankful for...


We started our "thankful tree" tradition 2 years ago...it has slowly evolved.  Last year I went to my best friend's house and grabbed branches from our yard to make it with.  This year it was rainy and wet starting a week before Halloween and it seriously didn't let up.  I went through her yard anyway but all the sticks kind of crumbled from wet and rot.  I wasn't really sure what we'd use and we started a week later than Nov. 1 because of it.  But then I found this tree online and I was sold.  We can use it year after year despite the weather and I knew that since it had little lights, the kids would be excited!  And it was $10 cheaper when I ordered it!

The leaves weren't anything fancy.  Last year I cut out little leaves but it took forever and I didn't have the patience or time this go round.  I really want to make felt leaves with pockets to use year after year but this is not the time in my life for that project!

We had Family Night the 2nd Monday of the month and started filling our branches with all of the things we are grateful for.  The kids had some great things to share, Drew wrote one all on his own, practicing his writing skills since he is in Kindergarten now ;)



Susanna helped put all the "leaves" on and she has turned that tree on and off so many times, I need to recharge the batteries.  Drew's first thankful leaf was for veterans...or "war guys" as he called them, because they had been discussing Veteran's Day at school that week ;) I love that they love the tradition it is becoming.


We talked about gratitude and why we should show thanks to God for our blessings.  We have decided as a family to pray for 5 different things each night that we are thankful for during family prayer.  It has been so sweet to hear their prayers.  Last night Drew prayed, giving thanks for "thanksgiving, mom's birthday, dad's birthday, my birthday, Susie's birthday, and Jill's birthday.  Thank you that we can get older each year until we can live with you again."  It was amazing.




"dad fixing the wii" (although I think Mike and I are kind of regretting that one ;)


Afterward, we roasted marshmallows over the stove (while Drew sported nothin' but his undies)...they taste just as good like this as they do over the campfire, I promise!

I love this tradition and hope it continues and evolves each year into something greater and that we can incorporate thanks in more impactful ways as our family gets older.

No comments: