Saturday, August 21, 2010

a little bit about me

A friend of mine recently said to me, in a nut shell, that I seem to be all about work and being serious and that it doesn't really seem like I have a lot of fun. They then asked what I liked to do for fun/what my hobbies are. I was taken a little off guard and felt a little bit like it was an attack on me and the life I have created for myself but after talking to Mike about it, thought maybe the best thing for me to do would be to share with others what I like to do (gotta love the theraputic-ness of blogging, right?!).

1. I LOVE to be with Mike and Drew
2. I like to read.
3. I enjoy spending time with family, even if it means driving a few hours to do so.
4. I absolutely love anything that has to do with history; museums, documentaries, plantations, historical sites, old photographs, family genealogy, etc. I love touring the northeastern U.S. and Washington D.C./Virginia is one of my favorite places.
5. I like to scrapbook, even though I don't have time for it much anymore.
6. I really, honestly, do like to clean even though that might sound strange.
7. I like to swim and LOVE the beach.
8. I obviously like to blog, it feels good to write down my thoughts and I like keeping up with what it going on in the lives of the people I care about.
9. I like to shop and go to the movies.
10. I like to decorate, love to have people over, and like to cook.

...just to name a few. I am sort of at a point in my life where I can't do EVERYTHING I would LOVE to do because of time, money, etc. but I know that one day I will get to entertain, travel, and do more of the things I like to do. It may seem like I work, come home, coach swimming, make dinner, do laundry, clean up around the house, change diapers...but I love where I am in my life right now. I have found happiness in doing the day-to-day, adult, every-day-life stuff and if that means I cannot do all the things I have dreamed of, I am ok with that. I think that making sacrifices in life makes life more fulfilling, if that makes sense. It isn't about me and what I want to do ALL THE TIME and really, in a way, I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. I'm raising my son, with my wonderful husband, I have a great job with people I like and admire. I am very blessed in my life and I think the simple, "normal", or what may seem to others as "boring", days have been some of the best days of my life!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Very well said! I think as women, we are the first to put our hopes, dreams, things we love to do on hold to make sure our spouse and children have all of the above before we do. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with putting your wants, wishes, loves... first at times. I'm the same way, no sweat. But I have to remind myself at times that I am a person not a machine and I have needs/feelings too :) But my for "fun" now is all about my little Sweet Pea!

Unknown said...

I love this post! I don't think you're a boring workaholic, but I do love hearing about the things you love most. For example, I didn't know you like to scrapbook, and I didn't know you're a swim coach! Blogging is so much fun for these things :). Thanks for the update!

McCartneys said...

Hmm! Interesting to think what some people see or don't see in you.
I think your wonderful and I love everything about you !

AmyB said...

If we don't learn to love our work and enjoy it, it will be a very long eternity for us... That's really what it is all about. I am lucky to know you well enough to know that you do love to have fun! You just enjoy whatever it is you happen to be doing. That is one of the things I admire about you!

TheNelsons said...

Adrienne
AMEN to your post sista!!! I feel the same way. I dont think you or your life is boring. I love reading your blogs.

Billy and Jessica Fontenot said...

well I feel special because I already knew all these amazing things about you (except for Virginia lol). We have a lot in common of course and that is why I love you. One day we will have more time (and hopefully more money lol) and I can't wait to share those moments and talk about those experiences with you. Now HOBBY NUMBER TEN: NOT LISTENING TO THOSE WHO ARE QUICK TO JUDGE AND MAKE ME FEEL LIKE POOP!
I love u sista!

Matt and Autumn Stone said...

oh I just love you! You have so many wonderful qualities that I pray to have! Your self reflection made me think about my own life.....since you love swimming , i wish you were here to be my coach! I'm soooo bad at swimming!